The “Pershing” was a heavy tank of the United States Army. The T26E3 was the production version of the T26E1 with a number of minor modifications made as the result of field testing. Following its introduction into combat, it was renamed the M26 in March 1945. Production finally began in November 1944. Ten T26E3 tanks were produced that month at the Fisher Tank Arsenal, 30 in December, 70 in January 1945, and 132 in February. The Detroit Tank Arsenal also started production in March 1945, and the combined output was 194 tanks for that month. Production continued through the end of the war, and over 2,000 were produced by the end of 1945. 20 were sent in the first shipment arriving in January 1945. They were given between the 3rd and 9th Armored Divisions.A platoon T26E3s played an integral role in the 9th Armored Division’s capture of the Lüdendorff Bridge.